If you have been to the market, chances are that you have come across different products made of plastic material. From culinary tools to baby toys, there are many items made of plastic material.
However, plastic is not the only material used to make products out there. Resin is also used to make different products such as carts and crafts, durable casting, countertops, and so on. It is interesting to note that both resin and plastic are related.
To start with, resins are the raw materials that are used to make plastics. In other words, plastic is the end product of resin. In this article, we shall take a closer look at the differences between these two materials for easier distinction.
What is Resin ?
Resin is both a solid and viscous material that is mostly obtained from woody plants. One common characteristic of resins is that they can easily be converted to polymers.
In addition, it can be used to make plastic materials. In essence, this material is a mixture of many organic compounds commonly known as terpenes.
Typically, this material is usually produced whenever woody plants are cut. A good example of resins include Canada balsam, balsam, balm of Gilead, and so forth.
The good news is that this material can be used to seal food containers, boats, and mummies. In addition, it can be used to make polymers.
What is Plastic ?
Plastic is an organic polymer that contains a high molecular mass. Unlike resins, this material is not found in its purest form as there are other substances that are added to it during its formation.
Besides resin, some of the materials that are used to make plastic include lubricants, plasticizers, coloring agents, and so on.
Generally, the additives mentioned above usually help improve the mechanical and physical properties of pure resin. Consequently, you will end up with a more robust and better material than resin.
The Differences Between Plastic And Resin
There are a number of differences that set these materials apart. Some of these differences include:
- Origin : As far as their origin is concerned, these materials differ. You will note that resins originate from plants. Generally, resins are natural. Plastics on the other hand, come from petrochemicals and are therefore not as natural as resins.
- Durability : If you are looking for a more durable material, you should go for plastic. This is because resin is not as strong as plastic. In fact, resins are considered to be gluey substances and can act as adhesives. Since this material is viscous in nature, it is not as hard as plastic. Therefore, it might not last for long.
- Impurities : When it comes to impurities, both materials have a significant amount of impurities. However, resins tend to have more impurities than plastics. This makes plastics more stable than resins.
- Type : Resins are usually considered to be more original than plastics. This is because plastics contain materials other than resins, which make them have an unnatural impression.
- Effects on environment : Since resins are more naturally occurring, they are more environment-friendly than plastics. Remember that plastics are one of the leading causes of environmental pollution. This is because plastics are not bio-degradable and contain numerous additives that are toxic in nature.
Although resins and plastics are used to make different products, there are some differences that set them apart. From their origin to how they affect the environment, there are a number of differences that separate them.
As you purpose to utilize any of these materials, bear in mind the differences mentioned above. Otherwise, these materials have proved to be very effective in different capacities.